Jungle Emperor: The Brave Can Change the Future is a 107-minute film created to celebrate the 80th anniversary of Tezuka's birth. It was written by Suzuki Osamu, directed by Taniguchi Goro, and animated by Tezuka Productions.
It completely flipped the Jungle Emperor story, setting its tale in a "neo-jungle" created to preserve animal life as much of the wild has been destroyed. Enter Kenichi, son of the C.E.O. of Eternal Earth, who created the preserve. He has the special ability to understand the language of animals. He meets Leo, son of Panja and Eliza, who is criticized by all the animals as a coward. They tell him he isn't as brave as his father, but Leo is determined to prove them wrong. A sickness breaks out among the animals that appears contagious to humans, prompting the decision to destroy them all. Then its up to Kenichi and Leo to save the animals.
English Dub[edit | edit source]
The Japan Foundation distributed the film, along with other Japanese films, to a few international markets, including Zambia. Muvi TV is one of the broadcasters that has received the film. The dub was produced by Digital Sound Magic Recording Studios. A clip of the dub was uploaded on Dec. 31st, 2019. The dubbed film is now available to watch in the US and Canada on the classic anime streaming service: RetroCrush
An earlier English dub of the film premiered on Cartoon Network in the Philippines on November 19, 2010.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Kenichi Ooyama (Kevin O’Donnell in the English Dub)
- Kenzou (Mr. O’Donnell)
- Professor Hiwaka (Dr. Halloway)
- Elder Dolf (Old Dolf/ Wise Dolf)
- Tommy (Concept art only)
Animals seen[edit | edit source]
- Animals in B block
The Animals who allied with Leo and Kenichi to fight Keizou Oayoma's destruction
- Leopards and Black Panthers(Some spotted ones are seen in the flashback of Eliza, and possibly another one after the end credits)
- Cape Buffaloes
- Skunk or Honey Badger?
- Hyenas(Picture only)
- Hyraxes or Capybaras?
- Guinea Fowls
- Chipmunks or shrews
- Sacred Ibis
- Fennic foxes
- Wild Dogs
- Komodo Dragons
- The Animals in the other blocks
- Panda bears
- Blacked footed ferret(Picture only)
- Musk oxen
- Indian Elephants
- Polar bears (Cameos)
- Kangaroos (cameos)
- Japanese cranes
- American Bison
- Black bears
- Grizzly bears/Brown bears
- White tailed deer
- American Alligators
- Tasmanian devils
- Cameos as Clones
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This is the only adaptation where Tommy, Buzara, Laiya, Dr Mustache, Ham Egg, Bubu, Pagoola and his son Bizo, Jack, Kurosaji, the Mammoth, and Mary didn't appear.
- In this version, Coco is a female.
- Some point at the end of the movie, You can hear the original music score that's been used for The New Adventures of Kimba the White Lion (Jungle Emperor 1989).
- The Hong Kong DVD of the film has English Subtitles.
- Like the Original TV Series, it has two different English dubs; one in 2010 that aired in the Philippines, and one in 2019 streaming on Retrocrush.
Resources[edit | edit source]
English Dub Sources:[edit | edit source]
- Article - Embassy of Japan in the Republic of Zambia, Cover Letter
- Digital Sound Magic Dubbing Samples
- Useful info - YT video
- Digital Sound Magic Dub release announcement post - Twitter